Friday 1 April 2011

A Shot Across The Bows


Photobucket

The Dead Sea Mob assembled for the first time the other week and set to work decking out the Studio 55 Gallery above 55DSL's flagship store just off Carnaby Street in old London town..

Photobucket

I took my starting point from a Dr. Octagon song, which mentions a half shark/alligator, half man character.. Without having much time to prepare for the stuff that we were painting directly into the space, I pretty much made my wall piece up as I went along. I sketched these fishy lookin' characters and set about boshing them out in Poscas..

Photobucket

..Me, the mighty Godmachine and your man Twisted Loaf were all up on this shelf scribbling out nautically tinged nightmares..

Photobucket

..The force known as Drew Millward was set up across the other side of the space, smashing out a 'Shot Across The Bows' title piece at an awesome pace..

Photobucket

..My progress was inching along at a much slower speed, with my accursed quest for clean lines and symmetry pushing my sanity to the brink well into the caffeine-fueled night..

Photobucket

..Once I got past the symmetrical shark sentinels, I cracked on with the fish-faced priest, the sacrificial alligator baby, and the decapitated head of its father.. Meanwhile, Godmachine was just straight KILLING it with his scarlet haired skull piece..

Photobucket

..The Millward was first to sign off on his painting. He was heading off back up North for a gig so he never even got to stick around for the opening, but the way that he knocked out this amazing Kraken piece before he jumped back on the train was a sight to behold. The guy's a chuffin' PRO..

Photobucket

..Godmachine's finished piece was incredible too. He smashed it all out pretty quickly, splashed some blacker than black paint around for a bit and topped 'er off with a satanic golden halo. All hail..

Photobucket

..Me n' Twisted Loaf A.K.A Tom 'Mother Fucking' Hovey were painting well into the dead of night. He just piled in the detail, layer after layer and ended up having to tear himself away from his insanely intricate dead seascape..

Photobucket

..It's all about getting up close to Hovey's picture. He's a force to be reckoned with. The twisted layers of detail that he weaves are stacked as high as a frickin' kite..

Photobucket

..My piece was finally finished with the help of Godmachine on some colouring-in duties. He was quick to point out the best bits of the piece, like the black of the central character's robe that he filled in..

Photobucket

..Carla Pino is the hypothetical horse bones that form the glue that binds The Dead Sea Mob together and keeps them on a course, strong and true. As we put the finishing touches to the show, she couldn't resist getting in on the arty act, swiping a stray Posca and quickly throwing up this fresh window piece while our backs were turned..

Photobucket

..I got to exorcise my perfect line demons and exercise my scribble hand with this messy collaborative piece that The Mob knocked up together. I scratched out the scroll and a take on brother Drew's eye-anchor, as he'd already sailed out by this point. Twisted Loaf got busy with the splats n' drips and then the three of us took turns in scrawling out a word each.. Hovey did 'the DeAD', I did 'SEA', and Godmachine finished it off with the pentagram filled 'MOB'..

Photobucket

..55DSL sent their official 'Maintenance Guy' who was a total dude. We were in the background farting about with paint pens and pointing at where we wanted screws screwing from time to time and he just hovered over this stair drop with his ladder like he wasn't even boshed..

Photobucket

..Godmachine's prints on black paper look 'dope'. Everyone just turned up with bundles of these amazing looking prints and we didn't even put 'em all up.. That's how The Dead Sea Mob roll..

Photobucket

..A couple of oldies from me. I got the baby on a fish picture printed up for the show, but it's something that I drew a while back. It's based on a weird Japanese picture I found and I never ended up using it for anything when I first drew it. I got the Owl & The Pussycat picture that I did a while back printed up for the show too and Carla (A.K.A Chairman Meow) snapped up a copy for herself well sharpish..

Photobucket

..Drew's mate Owen Richards is an awesome photographer who usually takes photos of awesome bands and shit like that. He kindly stopped by to take a few snaps of us mucking about in the streets of Soho, and a few days after I bumped into him in my local chippy..

Photobucket

..'Brothers From Different Mothers'..(unless you count Chairman Meow) ..The traffic cone to the right of the picture is actually a lot more comfortable and photogenic than me, but he can't draw skulls for shit so my place in The Mob is safe for now..

Photobucket

..The gratis OranjeBOOM shook, shook, shook the room for about the first twenty minutes of the opening until it was completely annihilated by loads of cool people that I didn't know. Loads of 'em seemed to stick around for some approving nods in the general direction of the artworks long after the free drinks were drunk though, so all in all the Private View was pretty banging..

Photobucket

..The morning after, Carla and Godmachine got everything looking shipshape again before heading off. I didn't actually take any of these photos. I shuffled 'em all together from various online albums, so a big thanks to the snap happy snaps of Carla Pino, Tom Hovey, Breaks of 10, and Owen Richards.. Next stop - Whitley Bay..


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment